Here is a summary of my Weight Watchers meeting on June 29, 2010.
For months you've been saving up for that much-needed vacation. You've brought bagged lunches to work, passed on that tempting new pair of heels, and cut down on pricey restaurant meals with friends – all in the name of a little rest and relaxation. And what better time to indulge yourself than when you're on vacation, right? After all, you've earned it. The trouble is, you've been so good about sticking to your diet, and you've finally lost that extra weight you put on during the winter. The last thing you want is to return from your blissful vacation and discover that you've put the pounds back on.
According to travel studies the average person can gain up to 8 lbs per week on vacation!! Are you okay with that? Remember: There's more to vacationing than food. In order to still lose weight while on vacation there are a few things that you should do to prepare yourself.
1. You need to decide if you want to lose or if you are going to be ok with an 8lb gain….If you want to lose please read on…
2. Packing your plan is what needs to happen next. Think of all the things that you should pack that you use now on a regular basis to stay on plan. Make sure that these things make it in to your suitcase:
• pts calculator/ pocket guide
• complete food companion/ dining out companion
• exercise clothes and shoes…if you don’t pack them you are less likely to do activity
• positive attitude-remind yourself of all you have accomplished! Relish in that smaller dress size!
• portable snacks- Obviously bananas bruise but apples, oranges, grapes, baby carrots, mini bars, fiber one bars, popcorn, and oatmeal all travel quite nicely.
• water bottle- it is always a good idea to keep a water bottle with you at all times..sometimes when we think we are hungry we are really just thirsty. Plus you can keep refilling the same bottle versus paying 2.50 for a fresh bottle each time!
3. Remember what your goals are…It is not easy to lose 8 lbs but it is amazing how quickly we can gain it back! Have you worked hard all this time just to gain it back on vacation? NO WAY!
*Pack a note in your suitcase to remind yourself that you can lose while on vacation. Set an alert on your calendar on your phone for halfway through the week asking you if you have stayed on plan.
4. Go to the meeting finder on www.weightwatchers.com See if there is a local meeting that you could attend to see how you are doing weight wise and to give you that extra boost in motivation.
5. You will be tempted by foods that you normally do not eat so it is ok to indulge a little. If you find yourself indulging a lot remember that you do have your 35 weekly points and any activity points you may have earned along the way. The more cheesecake you eat….the more activity you should partake in. Most hotels now a days have some type of fitness center. Check around town for parks or local hiking trails.
6. Limit sugary or creamy drinks. Part of kicking back on vacation is having a few libations, but an eight-ounce Pina Colada can have as much as 450 calories and 18 grams of fat. Drink in moderation, and opt for things like light beer, which has only about 100 calories, or liquor blended with non-sugar mixers such as soda water, instead of tonic. Remember to follow each drink with plenty of water.
7. Be confident you can have a wonderful trip and lose weight too!
I hope you all have a wonderful holiday weekend and I look forward to seeing you soon!