Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Memorial Stones

At the beginning of each new school year, before students return to campus, there is a university-wide address for all staff and faculty. Before the address begins a slideshow is played with names and pictures of all the new employees. My name and picture were displayed in all their glory on a slideshow in August of 2008, shortly after I had started working here. I had almost forgotten about it until this morning. I received an email from my co-worker which included the picture of myself that was displayed in that slideshow.



It is reminders like this one that has helped me succeed in my weight loss efforts. I am surrounded by constant reminders of who I was before I began Weight Watchers. For me, remembering how far I have come is critical to my weight loss success. I have pictures and a pair of my old pants that help to motivate me to continue to make good choices. As I look back and see how much weight I have lost, I begin to see how much of myself I have gained back. I do not know about you, but I do not want to lose myself again.

In the book of Joshua, the Lord was very intentional to have Israel make for themselves a reminder of the His faithfulness to bring them across the Jordan river. Israel brought twelve stones from the middle of the Jordan and carried them over to the other side. Joshua told these men that, “In the future, when your children ask you, 'What do these stones mean?' 7 tell them that the flow of the Jordan was cut off before the ark of the covenant of the LORD. When it crossed the Jordan, the waters of the Jordan were cut off. These stones are to be a memorial to the people of Israel forever.” (Joshua 4:6-7)

The people of Israel had memorial stones to remind them of God’s faithfulness to bring them into the promised land. Just like the nation of Israel we should have memorial stones of our own. It does not have to be a stone, for me and my weight loss it is before pictures of myself. Whatever form your stones come in let them help to remind you of how far God has brought you in your journey with Him.

These stones were also set up to encourage the next generation. Joshua said, “when your children ask you”, he wanted parents to tell their children this story of what God had done in their lives. God wanted them to share about how He had brought them into the land that He promised them. This memorial was set up to give hope to the future nation of Israel. Our stones should be a source of hope for us as well. I know that there have been circumstances in my life that I am sure God will get me through, because I look back and see how He has brought me through other trails in the past.

What are some of your Memorial Stones? If you do not have memorial stones in your life, this might be a great time to start collecting them. You will need those stones for the journey ahead. Take some time to remember how far the Lord has brought you and thank Him for His ever present faithfulness in your life.

2 comments:

akjenniekt said...

Wow- you really have done a great job :). I am actually in the opposite boat right now- I look at my old "thin" pics and then my new "big" pics. It is not a good feeling :) but I am starting to work on it.
Great job!!!

Jennifer said...

Thank you!! I hope that those old "thin" pics can motivate you to get back to where you were!! Stick with it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...