Monday, March 7, 2011

Our Grocery Experiment Report

Source

This morning I am here to report on some very exciting things! Last month, I told you about our grocery experiment that we were conducting.

I planned out our meals for the entire month of February, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The rules were that we were not going to eat out and that we were only going to go shopping twice throughout the month. As it turns out, we ate out twice, and I made a total of four trips to the store (two big trips and two small trips). However, because we were so good to stick to our menu we saved money!

That's right we save almost $100.00 this last month just on groceries!

I did not buy a lot of snack foods at the store. Instead, I have been baking things like cookies, rice krispie treats, and banana bread. I have been trying to eat only the serving size so that the food will last longer. I also used coupons, bought generic brands, and watched sales. We probably save more money on gas, because we are not making a trip to the store every week.

Most importantly, I have been praying that God would help our bellies to feel full and let our food last longer then just the month I planned for! He did that last month and I know that He can do it again!!

It does take time to sit down, plan out our menu for the month, and hunt for deals. However, if it is going to save us $100.00 every month, I think it is worth my time. So I am excited to say that we are doing it again!! I decided to make our March menu in Microsoft Publisher.

March Meal List
Oatmeal
Turkey or Ham Sandwiches
Macaroni & Cheese
Skinny Sloppy Joes
Taco Junk
Shepard's Pie
Sandwiches
Chicken Ropa Vieja
Crock Pot Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti
Meatloaf Muffins
Jon's Homemade Chinese Food
3 Bean Turkey Chili
Tacos
Chicken & Rice
Easy Beef Enchiladas
Spinach Lasagna Rolls
Crock Pot Chicken Chili
Cinnamon Apple Crisp
Strawberry Pie
Raspberry Squares
Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies

6 comments:

Terri Lin said...

Wow, that is impressive. Keep up the good work.

mrsmarkdave said...

Wow! That was a lot of money saved. Good for you!

Losing Brownies said...

I'm so happy that the experiment went well! 100 dollars a month really adds up over time!

Trainer T.s Fitness said...

Great job! Very impressive 100.00 smakers :-)

I track everything in a spreadsheet too that helps me stay on track.

Meagan Joye said...

I meant to ask you about this on Sunday because I was so curious to see if it worked!! I'm so glad it did! I'm definitely going to have to try this in our home :) We ALWAYS seem to somehow go over our grocery budget :(

Dee said...

Super-impressive!! $100 a month = $1,200 at years end. Yay!! :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...