Monday, March 21, 2011

The Way To Freedom

Source

"For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery. " - Galatians 5:1

All year I have been learning about freedom. God has been working on me and my heart to show me how to live a life that is truly free. Galatians 5:1 says that Christ has set me free. I am no longer a slave to sin. That is a burden that I do not need to carry.

I thought that at some point along this journey that I would suddenly, divinely feel free! I was expecting a kind of big "ah ha" moment where I would be able to wrap my mind around how my life is supposed to be now that Christ has set me free.

I have yet to have my big moment. However, God has been giving me jems of truth along the way. My most recent "jem" is something that I learned when I read a Proverbs 31 Encouragement for Today, When I Am Free. The author, Lynn Cowelll, talks about how, "In order to be free, I have to be free of me." I have to let God work in each area of my heart to set me free from myself! I never thought about freedom this way.

I am beginning to understand that I am on the road to freedom. I cannot fully understand a life of freedom, because all I have known are the chains of sin. I need God to help me comprehend such an incredible truth and reality I have in Christ.

Do you remember the Chilean minors? There were so many painstaking hours put into their rescue. For days, people tried to come up with a good solution to rescue those 33 men. When they came up with a plan that would work, it was decided that the best time to perform this rescue was at night. The experts did not want these minors to rescued during the day light. The minors had spent 40 days underground and they needed time to gradually transition back into real life, so that they did not freak out and go into shock.

God does the same thing with us and our freedom! Freedom is a reality for anyone who is in Christ. But if we experienced that freedom in one fail swoop it would be overwhelming and possibly put us into shock. God knows that He must show us our freedom gradually over a period of time, leading us out of the dark prison and taking us into the light!

Along the way, God will remove the chains and anything else that is trying to keep us from the light.

Wow! God is awesome! Thank you Lord for loving us enough to show us the way to true freedom!

Are you living in the freedom that Jesus died to give you? Are you like me and you are on your freedom journey?

I pray that you will give God permission to show you the way to freedom!

6 comments:

Kelli said...

I love this "Freedom is a reality for anyone who is in Christ. But if we experienced that freedom in one fail swoop it would be overwhelming and possibly put us into shock. God knows that He must show us our freedom gradually over a period of time, leading us out of the dark prison and taking us into the light!" Amen! And so true! Our God is an awesome chain breaker!

Jen Newsham said...

I am thankful that God is strong enough to break my chains for me!

Tina Morris said...

I love this! What a great way to think about how God moves us to freedom a little at a time. Thanks for sharing this today.

Jen Newsham said...

You're welcome!

Honeybee said...

This is beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I agree with @Kelli. Freedom is reality for anyone who is in Christ. Halleluiah. Sometimes I cannot understand a few friends of mine. After receive Christ and experience freedom in Him, they turn from Christ to find "another answer". Maybe they haven't fully understand their true freedom. Sad. Looking forward your next post. Have a great day!
Best Beauty Tips from Kim Kardashian

Jen Newsham said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I think freedom is a process and that we have to be freed from several things in our lives. I am afraid that I turn to other things before God too, but I am learning and open to God's instruction. Praise God for caring for us that much!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...