Thursday, April 7, 2011

Recipe Review: Raspberry Squares

I really want to get back in the habit of writing recipe reviews more often. I am so excited that this is my third recipe review in a row! It's been a long time since I have done that. Yay!!

In Texas, our spring is very short, because gets very hot in a short amount of time. I do not know about you, but when it is hot I do not want rich desserts that weigh down. I have been searching for some great recipes for this spring/summer season.

I have also been trying to cook and bake with a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables. On the new Weight Watchers points+ program fruit is free, so I try to find recipes that will incorporate a lot of those fruits and veggies that I love so much!

This is a Weight Watchers recipe that would be good for anyone to try. The complete Raspberry Squares recipe can be found below.

Gather together your ingredients.

The first thing I did was to do is pull out my food processor and make the crust.

Then, I poured the mixture into my ungreased pan.

I pressed the dough into the pan to and made sure that there were not any holes in my crust. Then I put my crust in the oven to bake it.

Next, I took frozen raspberries and my preserves, mixed them together and heated them to a small boil.

This is what it looked like after I had boiled down the raspberries.

The crust had finished baking, so I pulled it out of the oven to add the top layer.

BE CAREFUL when you pour the raspberry mixture on the crust. Then put it back in the oven to bake until set.

This is what the raspberry squares look like right after they come out of the oven. Let the squares cool before you cut them.

These were so good and you could use a variety of different fruits as your topping, if you do not like raspberries.

. . . . . . . . . .
Raspberry Squares
Source: Weight Watchers

Ingredients
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup powdered sugar
8 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 tsp almond extract
1 cup preserves, red raspberry
1 cup unsweetened frozen raspberries
1 Tbsp powdered sugar, for garnishing

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350ºF.

Place flour, 1/3 cup powdered sugar, butter and almond extract in a food processor; pulse to combine and break up butter into pea-size pieces.

Pour flour mixture into an 11 1/2- X 7 1/2-inch ungreased baking dish; smooth into an even layer and tap with the back of a spatula to form a crust. Bake until crust just starts to turn golden, about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, combine preserves and frozen raspberries; cook, stirring occasionally, until preserves turn to liquid and frozen raspberries are thawed, about 3 to 5 minutes.

When crust is ready, pour raspberry mixture over top of hot crust and smooth into an even layer; bake until set, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool in pan until just warm. Cut into 24 squares, remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack. When raspberry bars are completely cool, dust with remaining tablespoon powdered sugar. Yields 1 square per serving.

Serves 24; 3 pointsplus+

4 comments:

sarahworldcook said...

Great looking recipe- I love anything with fruit. Makes me feel a little better about eating something sweet if it has something healthy in it! ;) I just checked out your blog- you truly are an inspiration to everyone with your story. Looking forward to following more of what you right.

http://homestyleworldcook.blogspot.com

Jen Newsham said...

Thanks Sarah! I am glad to have you following my blog!

Julie said...

Ooh, that looks scrumptious! My first visit to your blog...your weight loss is inspiring :)

Jen Newsham said...

Thanks Julie!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...