Friday, April 1, 2011

How Can God Bring Good from This?

source

Have you ever had a Bible verse that follows you around? I mean you hear it everywhere you go, at church, in Sunday school, at Bible study, in your quiet time, on the radio, and even in a devotion you receive daily by email. I have had this happen to me with two different verses in the last two weeks.

This week God has been trying to get my attention by sharing Romans 8:28 with me over and over again.

“And we know that in all things God works for the good
of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”
Romans 8:28 (NIV)

Below in the Proverbs 31 devotional Lysa talks about God bringing about good in her weight loss situation. I can completely relate to her in that! My weight loss journey has been such an incredible encouragement to me and an example of God's redeeming power.

I have seen God take something that brought me so much shame and work in it to bring Himself glory! I never expected that God would care about my eating habits enough to change them, so that His power could shine through in my weakness.

God has brought me freedom in my weight loss and I am so thankful for that!

Whatever your personal struggle is, hand it over to God and trust Him to work in it to bring about good. Trust me, what He has planned is so much better then you could ever imagine!

. . . . . . . . . .
How Can God Bring Good from This?
30 Mar 2011
by Lysa TerKeurst

“And we know that in all things God works for the good
of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”
Romans 8:28 (NIV)

Have you ever faced a personal struggle and wondered how God could possibly bring good out of it? How could Romans 8:28 apply to my hidden issues — the ones I don’t like to think about, deal with, or even admit I have?

If you would have told me 10 years ago that God could bring good out of my weight issues and food struggles, I would have seriously doubted you.I would have rolled my eyes and excused myself to the bathroom.

Bathroom stalls are great places to cry in secret.

When a soul is rubbed raw from years of trying and failing, you don’t want to hear, “eventually good will come from this.”

I wanted something to instantly fix my issues.

I wanted to stop calling myself awful names I’d never let another person call me.

I wanted to be naturally thin like my sister.

I wanted to stop crying when I walked into my closet to get dressed in the morning.

I would have cared less about some elusive, eventual good. My jeans didn’t fit. Even my sweatpants didn’t fit. I felt horrible. I couldn’t stay committed to a healthy eating plan to save my life. And I saw no hope in sight.

It’s a terrible thing to scan the horizon and see no evidence of hope.

Maybe you’ve been there with some hidden issue. Maybe you’ve been there like me with food and weight struggles. Maybe you’re there today.

Whether your issues are the same as mine or not, all of us Jesus girls have struggles. We all fall short in some way. And we all need to know more about this “good” mentioned in Romans 8:28.

But instead of a three point sermonette, I want to share with you a letter I recently received. As I read it, the mercy gates of heaven split wide open and reigned down “this working of good.”It was heaven’s salve soothing deep places in me.
It is a picture of the reality of God’s Word being true. Always true. God does work for the good… in all things… every single thing... even our most raw and seemingly impossible things… but we must know it even when we don’t feel it.

“Just want to say thank you for sharing your struggles, Lysa. I’ve had an eating disorder since August,1978. Full blown anorexia, which led years down the road to bulimia.

I became a Christian in 2002, but never could fully surrender my eating disorder to our Lord. Through your story and the advice you shared the Holy Spirit is empowering me as I never knew possible. I’ve had 7 days of no binging or purging!!!
This may not seem like a high number to you, but after 33 full years with this binge/purge addiction, this is AMAZING. Hallelujah!!

You shed such new light on scriptures that I have read, but never knew how to interpret in my life especially with regards to eating. I’ll be honest I figured my eating disorder wasn’t that big a deal to our Lord. In fact I had told myself that He made me this way so it must just be the sin I was born to deal with; so glad to know that it isn’t, and that I matter to HIM."– Melissa P.


As I read this, my tears leaked free.We don’t have to figure out how God will bring good, we just have to stay on the journey with Him and watch Him work.
May this be a glimpse of hope in the midst of your struggles as well.

“And we know (we know it even if we don’t feel it) that in all things (even the ones we can’t even fathom being used for good) God works for the good. (He works for the good. Our job is to walk with Him day by day. His job is to work the good.)

Dear Lord, thank You for this hope. Thank You that You don’t waste our tears, our struggles, or those places rubbed raw from years of trying and failing. Once we do what You’ve instructed us to do, You always do what only You can do. I know You will bring good even when I can’t see it or feel it. And what a comfort that is to me. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...