Thursday, December 13, 2018

Blogmas: Visiting Sham Shui Po (“Toy Street”)



Last weekend, my friend invited me to go with her to Sham Shui Po aka “Toy Street” in Downtown Hong Kong. It is about an hour long bus ride from where we live. I couldn’t wait to finish my Christmas shopping, without my kids in tow.

First, we went out for dim sum for lunch before hitting up Toy Street. Just as a side note, the dim sum restaurant was delicious. There wasn't anything I tried that I did not like. Hands down, my absolute favorite was the BBQ Pork Bun. As soon as I took a bite of it all I could say was, "Wow! Wow!" It was just that amazing!!

As we walk down the street to Sham Shui Po, from a distance it didn’t look like much. However, the closer we got to “Toy Street” I slowly began to see shops on both sides of the road, filled with toys and Christmas decorations of all kinds!! Everything didn’t fit neatly into shops, like they do in the United States. Here on Toy Street in Hong Kong, toys lined the streets and if that wasn’t enough other smaller vendors had their booths set up in the road with even more products for you to purchase.

To say the sidewalk is crowded is an understatement!! With shops and vendors on either side of the sidewalk, there wasn’t much room left for people to walk through from shop to shop.

When we first got to Toy Street there weren’t too many people shopping. However, as the day went on more and more people kept showing up to get their own Christmas shopping done.

I’ve been shopping on Black Friday in the United States. However, this shopping experience was worse than Black Friday. I kept thinking to myself this was “Black Friday on steroids!”



I wore my backpack on my front, because otherwise I was hitting people with my bag. This also helped me ensure that no one would take or steal my money or my purchased presents. We went from shop to shop finding the greatest toy, decorations, dolls, puzzles, fun pens, and so much more!! On top of that everything is reasonably priced and fairly cheap, which made it even more tempting to go crazy buying fun gifts for the girls. I did my best to sick to my list!

When it was all said and done, I finished my Christmas shopping and was able to buy everything (including Sophie’s birthday present) for just about $100 US dollars. Seriously!? I was impressed!! 

I’m so thankful to my sweet friend for taking me shopping on Toy Street. I can’t wait to go back and take my family with me next time!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...