Friday, December 21, 2018

Blogmas Series: Christmas Morning, Banana Bread



Several years ago, someone told me how their Mom would prepare all the food that they would eat on Christmas Day before Christmas, so that when Christmas came she would enjoy the holiday instead of being stuck in the kitchen all day. I thought that was an amazing idea!! Right away, I began to apply this idea in my own family.

When it comes to Christmas Day, I prepare everything in advance!! This way I am not running around like a chicken with my head cut off and missing out on quality time with my family. What this means is that, I make sure to wrap my Christmas presents early. Also, in the days leading up to Christmas, another huge undertaking for me is to prepare the majority of our Christmas meal.

I'm so happy to report, this change in our routine has been working well for me and my family.

As far as Christmas morning breakfast goes...

If I have been too busy to prepare in advance homemade cinnamon rolls or something else delicious for Christmas morning, then my go-to option for our Christmas breakfast is always something that I can put in my crockpot. Most years, I have made a breakfast casserole and put it in my crockpot the evening of Christmas Eve. Then I let it cook overnight, so it is ready for us to eat on Christmas morning.

I just love waking up to the smell of breakfast on Christmas morning!!

I am thankful that we started this tradition in our home especially, now that we live in Hong Kong and I don't have an oven in my kitchen. That being said, for Christmas morning my plan is to make make Banana Bread recipe (see below) and put it in the crockpot. Let it cook overnight, so that in the morning we have a delicious breakfast waiting for us.

When we first arrived in Hong Kong, I made this Banana Bread recipe in the crockpot and it worked!! I can't wait to make it again for my family.

Below, I have included my husband's favorite Better Homes and Garden Banana Bread recipe. Most of the time, for his sake I add chocolate chips as well. I try not to add too many, because I have one kiddo that doesn't like chocolate very much.

What does your family enjoy eating for breakfast on Christmas morning?

.....


Banana Bread
by, Better Homes and Garden

Ingredients
2 Cups all - purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
2 eggs, beaten
5 mashed ripe bananas
1 Cup sugar
1/2 Cup oil or melted butter, or margarine
1 Cup chocolate chips (optional)

Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of one 9x5x3-inch pan; set aside
- In large bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg
- Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside
- In medium bowl combine eggs, banana, sugar, and oil
- Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture
- Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy)
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Spoon batter into prepared pan
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean
- (If necessary, cover loosely with foil the last 15 minutes of baking to prevent over browning)
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes
- Remove from pan
- Cool completely on rack
- Wrap, store overnight before slicing

Optional: Streusel-Nut Topping. In a small bowl combine 1/4 cup packed brown sugar and 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour. Using a pastry blender, cut in 2 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 1/3 cup chopped walnuts.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...