Friday, January 13, 2012

Recipe Review: Microwave Popcorn in a Paper Bag

I cannot believe that I did not do any recipe reviews in the month of December! That just shows how busy I was leading up to Christmas.

To kick off recipe reviews for the New Year, I decided to do something fun! This is actually a recipe that I learned about in a Weight Watchers meeting several years ago, but I forgot about it. A few months ago, I found this recipe on Pinterest and I did not want to forget it again. I pinned it to my board and was determined to try it this time.

Please take a moment to read the warning, before you attempt to make this recipe.

*Warning*
The first time I tried to make this recipe it did not go well. I burned the popcorn and filled our house with smoke. It was awful. However, I gave it another shot. I only used 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels and only cooked my popcorn for about 2 minutes. Yes, I had lots of kernels leftover, but at least my popcorn was not burnt. Like me, you might have to try making this recipe a few times, before you figure out what works for you and your microwave. Don't be discouraged just open a window and keep trying.

You will need a brown paper bag.

Add a 1/2 cup scoop of bulk popcorn kernels to your brown paper bag.

Fold the bag over twice. Don’t use staples to secure the bag — this might spark in your microwave.

Stick the popcorn bag into your microwave. I set mine for 3 minutes on high.

*Popping Tip: Stop the microwave when the popping slows to one to two pops per second. You don’t want to burn your tasty snack.

I sprayed my popcorn with butter flavored cooking spray. Next, I sprinkled Kernel Season's Popcorn Seasoning on top.

This is so much healthier than some other microwave options.

I enjoyed every bite!

. . . . . . . . . .
Microwave Popcorn in a Paper Bag
Source: Squawkfox

Ingredients
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
brown paper bag

Instructions
Step One: Get a brown paper bag

Step Two: Bag your popcorn. Add a 1/2 cup scoop of bulk popcorn kernels to your brown paper bag. Fold the bag over twice. Don’t use staples to secure the bag — this might spark in your microwave.

Step Three: Pop in microwave. Stick the popcorn bag into your microwave. I set mine for 3 minutes on high.

*Popping Tip: Stop the microwave when the popping slows to one to two pops per second. You don’t want to burn your tasty snack.
Step Four: Add gourmet topping

Try these toppings for fun:
* Mexican: Add chili powder, hot sauce, and salt.
* Kiss My Breath: Shake in onion powder and garlic powder — hold the kiss.
* Cheese Please: Mix in Parmesan cheese with a little salt.
* Sweet Tooth: A dash of cinnamon, a sprinkle of sugar, and a topper of honey. Now that’s money.
* Classic: A shake of salt with a pat of butter.

Servings: 3 cups; 3 PointsPlus (for plain popcorn, adjust PointsPlus values based on toppings)

5 comments:

mrsmarkdave said...

Hmm - that's a good idea. I usually use an air popper but sometimes I just don't feel like messing with it. My mom used to make popcorn in the microwave like this. I had forgotten all about this method. I'll have to try it. I even have paper bags that I bought many years ago for this purpose. I only used them a couple of times before Dave bought me the air popper.

Unknown said...

Wow, I definitely need to try this sometimes. I love microwave popcorn, just not all the other ingredients in it! Thanks so much for sharing!

Unknown said...

Great post to share! I copied the directions and will give it a try.
Thanks for sharing! Great idea!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea!! Plus you have the satisfaction of knowing EXACTLY what is in your treat! I'm over from inCourage, thanks for following me!

Unknown said...

I have found that if I lay the bag on it's side in the microwave instead of standing it upright, more of the kernels pop. I'm guessing it has something to do with a thinner layer of corn in the bag while laying on its side. I still fold it over twice and crease the fold so popped corn doesn't get loose in the microwave.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...