Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Making Activity a Priority

Let's be honest. I just wanted everyone to know that I have gotten out of the habit of exercising on a regular basis. We moved to a new apartment a while back and I have not taken the time to find a good place to go running. I have made a lot of excuses about why I am not making an effort to exercise.

I realize that no one of going to scold me, but I look at the benefits that activity could have on my life and I wonder why that does not motivate me to move more. Last week in my Weight Watchers meeting we talked about activity. We talked about how it does not have to be going to the gym. Our leader encouraged us to find something that we enjoy doing and do it.

Does dancing around in my room while I am getting dressed in the morning count? I really enjoy doing that. I do not know if you are in a similar place as me. If you are, please know that you are not alone.

Take sometime to read the summary from my Weight Watchers meeting below.


Here is a summary of my Weight Watchers meeting January 15, 2011.

So you may find yourself wondering from time to time…. Why should I start doing activity? What am I going to get out of the deal? Well, here are just a few of the many benefits that becoming physically active can bring.

Activity Can:
1. Boost your weight loss results.
2. Improve your mental focus and memory.
3. Give you more energy.
4. Help to get a restful night’s sleep.
5. Improve your posture.
6. Help clear up your complexion.
7. Reduce varicose veins.
8. Put you in a better mood.
9. Reduce your cravings.
10. Help with symptoms of menopause.
11. Aid in proper digestion of foods.
12. Relieve stress.
13. Extend your longevity.
14. Lower you cholesterol, blood sugar, and blood pressure.
15. Prevent depression and reduce the need for anti depressants.
16. Prevent cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, cancer, stroke, fatigue, constipation, and headaches.
17. Increase your muscle and bone strength.
18. Allow you to eat more food and still lose by allowing you to earn activity pointsplus.
19. Be critical for weight maintenance……and best of all it can
20. BE FUN!!!

The key to being successful in the long run is finding an activity that you really enjoy. It can be as simple as working in the garden. There are billions of exercises, activities, fitness classes available to you. Play with your kids, tag, jump rope, hopscotch, badminton, wii, twister, or basketball. Maybe just wearing a pedometer each day can encourage you to take more steps a day. Although there are many pedometers on the market, only the weight watchers pedometer will calculate your activity pointsplus earned for you!

Remember for all the activity you do daily, you can earn extra activity pointsplus that you can use during the week in addition to your daily and weekly pointsplus allowance. Now you do not have to use them if you are not hungry, but they are there in case you find yourself getting a little hungrier.

So there are 3 things you need to know to calculate your activity pointsplus:
1. Current weight (not your dream weight or the weight you were 2 months ago)
2. Time spent doing the activity
3. Intensity of efforts.

You will then flip to the pink tab “Get up and GO” of your pocket guide and match that information with their handy chart.

4 comments:

Kelli said...

For the record dancing around the room totally counts as exercise. And for me, I count going up and down the stairs with loads of laundry. I count that too! Keep on going girl!

Losing Brownies said...

Getting in activity for me is a challenge now that I'm working part time. I'm work smack in the middle of the time I'd go to the gym or would work out. I need to make it a priority to get up and going in the morning and finding activities I can do with The Boy.

Anonymous said...

We had a great discussion at my WW meeting over the activity topic. I believe this is the area I struggle with the most, but I'm working on it. :)

Glucosamine said...

I really hate getting up in the morning early and doing workouts but i will do it for the fitness. thanks for awakening me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...