Friday, October 15, 2010

Flashback Friday: Our Trip to Dallas

This weekend Jon and I are headed to the Texas State fair with some friends of ours. We are so excited and cannot wait to go, especially since Jon has never been to a fair before. I will be sure to take lots of pictures to share with you all next week. I am going to do my best to stay on plan and avoid all the fair food. I have bought lots of apples and carrots to take with me instead.

I am so excited for our trip to the fair that it was reminding me of another trip we took exactly two years ago. This weekend, two years ago (Oct. 2008) Jon and I went away for the weekend with some friends. We went to Dallas and watched a hockey game, ate at great restaurants, went to the Farmer's Market, and the zoo! We had such a wonderful time.

This weekend was significant in another way as well. This was the first weekend I ever tried to count calories on my own! Earlier that week in 2008, I a doctor’s appointment that changed my life. My doctor told me that I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and that I had three months to diet and exercise to get some of my weight off or else I might have to start taking medicine.

This came as no shock to me, because I knew I was overweight. However I could not help thinking to myself, how did you let it get this bad?

This was the motivation I needed to begin to change my life. I hate going to the doctor and being on medicine for the rest of my life did not sound appealing to me at all. So I did my best to count calories and follow the diet guidelines that my doctor had given me.

It only took two weeks, before I realized that I needed help and joined Weight Watchers. However, I am so glad that I can look back on this weekend to see where I was and how little I knew about healthy eating. It gives me so much joy to see just how far someone can come in such a short amount of time.

Below are some pictures from our weekend trip two years ago.

Jon and I the morning before we left on our trip. I was about 226 pounds at that time.

Jon and I after we watched the Colorado Avalanche beat the Dallas Stars.

Dallas Farmer's Market

The fruit was so good here!

A GIANT pumpkin!

Elephants!! I love going to the zoo.

Me with me favorite animal, the elephant.

Visit Tia for more flashbacks.
Flashback Friday Button


Christopher And Tia said...

Is that the Ft. Worth zoo? We're going for the first time on Wednesday. The kids are going to FREAK OUT when they see the train.

I have various medical conditions, not weight related, that require me to have surgical procedures done yearly. I hate it. If there was something I could do to change it, I would. Since I've been pregnant and/or breastfeeding the past couple of years, I haven't had them done, and every day I think about what will happen the next time I visit the operating room. Honestly, I'm terrified.

So I can sort of relate to being chained to a bottle of pills everyday. I'm chained to vitamins instead though. And hospitals, when I go by the rules.

Good for you, Jen. For getting yourself on track, and not needing the aid of a capsule.

Living a Changed Life said...

Hi, Tia,
Nope. That was the Tyler zoo, just a smaller zoo in East Texas. You're kids are going to love that!

That would be so hard. I think surgery would be worse. The most I have had done was to have my wisdom teeth removed. :)

Marlene said...

I SO need to get back on program! At my last appt. my cholesterol was up.....and I am on medication for it. I have 6 months to work on it or I will be on more medication. Why can't I seem to make myself get started? Big sigh....

Living a Changed Life said...

Marlene - It is so hard to start back again after stopping. I had trouble starting again, because I didn't want to be a failure again. You are worth it!

Muriel said...

What a great share! I have been having such a hard time trying to start back up my workout/healthy eating program again! You look great and congrats on all you have accomplished!

Living a Changed Life said...

Muriel - Thanks! It is worth it to get back on the wagon.

Losing Brownies said...

Have a great time at the fair!! I love that you are taking apples and carrots! That is the best idea!

Living a Changed Life said...

Losing Brownies - Thanks! I am so excited!!

AReese said...

Hey! I found your blog off Flashback Fridays. I think it's great you have lost so much weight, and you look fantastic! I actually just ran my first half marathon last weekend. You should definitely train for and run one. It's a great experience!

Living a Changed Life said...

Areese - I am so glad that you found my blog. Congrats on your 1/2 marathon. I would love to do that someday!

Rachel said...

Do we get pictures from this year's trip too? I love couple pictures!
I am so proud to see other women who have has success with weight watchers too! I love 30 pounds with weight watchers a few years ago. Since then I've gone to grad school and we are starting a family so majorly concentrating on weight loss is not a focus right now but I will definitely go the same route again because it truly is a reliable way to take the weight off for good!

Living a Changed Life said...

Rachel - Yes I will post pictures of this weekends trip as well! I think I will always come back to Weight Watchers.

CONNIES6 said...

I hope to go to the State fair someday it sounds like such a great time. Love your blogs....thanks for sharing.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...