Thursday, June 16, 2011

Recipe Review: Buffalo Chicken Meatloaf

Life has been very busy in our home the last few weeks. I have had this recipe on my menu for almost a month, but have just now gotten around to making it!

I am excited to share this recipe with you. I found it on the Weight Watchers message boards. I knew that my husband would enjoy it, because it has a wing sauce in it. This really is a great recipe if you are tired of classic meatloaf and want to spicy things up, literally.

Just a note, that I this did not turn out as spicy as I thought it would. I am a baby when it comes to spicy things, but this was a nice temperature for me and the flavors were great!

The ingredients. I did not used the blue cheese, because Jon does not like it. However, I think it would have given it an even better flavor!

Mix  together the oats and milk and let them sit for three minutes.

Next, add Frank's wing sauce and stir it all together.

Next, add your ground turkey. Please note that we used lean ground beef, because that's all I had!

Then add your carrots, celery, onion, salt, pepper, and egg whites. Again, I am running out of a lot of stuff in my kitchen, so I used Egg Beaters instead of egg whites.

Then, mix it all together.

The recipe said to put it in a meatloaf pan, but I like putting meatloaf in muffin times. This helps me to control my portion sizes.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

I ate my meatloaf with a Green Giant Just for One Broccoli & Cheese. They were so good!!

. . . . . . . . . .
Buffalo Chicken Meatloaf
Source: PMMOAK

Ingredients
2/3 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup fat-free milk
1/4 cup Frank's wing sauce
1 lb. ground chicken breast or ground turkey
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/4 cup shredded carrot
1/3 cup chopped sweet onion
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese

Instructions
1.Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9x5x3 loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.

2.Combine the oats and milk in a mixing bowl and let stand 3 minutes, or until the oats begin to soften. Stir in the wing sauce. Add the ground chicken, celery, carrot, onion, egg whites and salt to taste.

3.Using a large spoon or with your hands, gently combine the mixture. Add the blue cheese and gently combine.

4.Transfer mixture to loaf pan, smooth the top flat, and spread the remaining wing sauce on top. Sprinkle the reserved onion slices over the sauce.

5.Bake 35-45 minutes, or until the center of the meatloaf is no longer pink. Serve immediately.

Serves 12; PointsPlus+ 2

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you think the points were effected by using the ground beef? Because I would rather use ground beef, too.

Thanks,
Kathie

Jen Newsham said...

Kathie - I used the extra lean ground beef and it did not change the pointsplus values.

roberts2812 said...

These were SOO yummy! Used added squash too and used rice milk in place of cow's milk. They are tender and hubby approved!

Unknown said...

I used Bison, and gluten-free oats. They looked a bit off putting but tasted great!

Unknown said...

I had to modify, used Bison, Gluten-free oats and Almond milk. They came out great, ugly as sin but yummy. LOL

Andrea said...

These were seriously good!!! Finished my last one right now and I am sad :( I can't really eat too spicy stuff but I love buffalo sauce flavor so I used mild and it was AMAZING!

Also works very well with ground lean turkey is what I used :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...