Thursday, October 28, 2010

Recipe Review: Taco Junk

I was sick most of last week. As a result of my sickness, I had no energy to make dinner. My husband was incredible to pick up the slack where I had dropped the ball. He made dinner and took care of me, I really did marry an amazing man. Friday night, I took two NyQuil and slept for over eleven hours and when I woke up I felt so much better!

One of the first things I wanted to do was cook!! It worked out well that I was feeling better on Saturday, because I was able to clean the house and do our laundry. I was not up to cooking anything really fancy, so I chose a very easy Crock Pot dinner that I had found on the Weight Watchers message boards.

Here is the complete recipe for Taco Junk.


Like I said, this is an easy recipe. Can't you see the line up of ingredients? They are all in cans or packages.



Cooking the ground beef. I buy the leanest ground beef available at the grocery store. This helped to make this recipe very low in points. If you do not use a really lean meat you will need to recalculate the points.



Mix all the canned and packaged ingredients together. This was the easiest part. I drained each canned items except for the diced tomatoes. That provided the liquid necessary, so that it did not burn or dry out while cooking.



Then drain the cooked ground beef and add it to the Crock Pot. Remember to let the meat cool if you are adding it to a cold Crock Pot, you don't want it to crack and break.



All done. I ate 1/2 cup which was only 2 points! Jon ate the mixture in a tortilla and I ate mine with tortilla chips and salsa. This was so yummy. We had a lot of leftovers. This is the perfect dish to make for Fall.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll be making this soon!!!
Thanks ! :)

Jen Newsham said...

Kelly - I hope you enjoy it! It is so good.

mrsmarkdave said...

Wow that looks really good. You make things look so easy. I am not a cook and most of the time am afraid to try.

Jen Newsham said...

MrsMarkDave - Thanks! I like cooking things that anyone can make. It is a bonus when they are healthy for you too!

s|davis said...

Jen,
That looks so yummy. I'm definitely making this soon. ;)

Jen Newsham said...

*S - Thanks!! Let me know what you think.

Losing Brownies said...

Glad you are feeling better!

That dish looks super easy!!

Jen Newsham said...

Losing Brownies - Thank you! I hate being sick.

Kendra said...

can.not.wait. I love my crock pot and I love anything with ground beef.

glad you're feeling better!

Jen Newsham said...

Kendra - Thanks! I love my crockpot too. It is my go to appliance.

Sarah - Fat Little Legs said...

One of my ALL time favorite recipes! Just gave me the idea to have this for a football party on Sunday. Thanks for the reminder.

Jen Newsham said...

Sarah - This would be great at a football party! Glad I could help jog your memory.

Danielle Hawes said...

I make the same thing! Only I use one can of beans, and leave the juice from all three. My MIL gave me this recipe! LOVE IT!

gingmo said...

Made this tonight just in a pan without using a crock pot. It was really good & I am looking forward to the left overs for lunches. The only thing I wasn't sure about was the amount of ranch mix & taco seasoning since we buy it in big packages. I also added onion & we ate it with tortilla chips. So yum!

Jodie said...

Sounds relish. Toss it over some greens and you'd have a great salad.

Laura VanVleet said...

This recipe rocks! My husband loved it on flour tortillas and I split a half cup between two corn tostadas! Low points, filling and delicious!

Jack said...

I make this for my family. We call it Cowboy Stew.

Iceni said...

I'm super cheap, so I buy the canned beans, etc. in the Hispanic Foods aisle, and there are canned chilies there as well, along with other varieties of canned corn, (bigger kernels with more chew to them). I don't like canned tomato taste, so I'll buy the fresh, along with fresh squashes of all kinds that most people use just for decoration in the fall. Those get pricked with a chef's knife, and then roasted until soft in the toaster over, then peeled or scraped into a dinner like this, along with some avocado. Yummay!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...