Thursday, January 27, 2011

Recipe Review: Angel Food Bars

I have been wanting to make this recipe since before Christmas. I had it on my list to make around Christmas time, but we were so busy that I just didn't get to it. Oh well. That's life. However, now that things have returned to normal I knew that it would be the perfect time to make this recipe!

I found the recipe for Angel Food Bars on the Weight Watchers message boards. I am telling you that is one of the best resources for low points plus recipes. I've said it before but those ladies always have great ideas.

For the complete recipe, click here.

This recipe is extremely easy and you only need three ingredients! What could be better than that?

I mixed together the dry ingredients first. The original recipe calls for chocolate pudding, but I am not eating chocolate this year so we decided to use french vanilla pudding instead.

Next, you add two cups of slim milk and stir.

This mixture got very foamy and expanded quite a bit.

Put it in a 9x13 pan and bake!

I thought that these bars would eventually shrink and get shorter, but they never did. When it was finished baking it looked just like a cake.

The finished product! It was yummy! The cake was very moist and tasted great. We will be making this again for sure. It is only three points+, so I thought it would be great with some berries on top or sugar-free jam. Feel free to experiment and let me know how it turns out.

I hope that you enjoy this as much as we did!

. . . . . . . . . .
Angel Food Bars
Source: DORIEDO2

Ingredients
16 ounces angel food cake mix
1 (1 1/2 ounce) package fat-free chocolate instant pudding mix
2 cups skim milk

Instructions
Mix together. Pour in a 9 x 13 inch sprayed cake pan. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes. Good with a little fat-free whipped topping.

Serves 18; 3 pointsplus+

NI: Calories 105 Total Fat 0.2g Dietary Fiber 0.1g

13 comments:

Marlene said...

What a great idea! Looks yummy! I'll be trying this one!

One question. What made you decide to give up chocolate?

Jen Newsham said...

Marlene - God had been laying it on my heart to fast from chocolate for a while, but I NEVER thought I could do that. I want to become a more disciplined person and obey when God tells me to do something. So, starting New Year's day, I gave up chocolate for a year.

You can read more about it here at
http://livingachangedlife.blogspot.com/2011/01/new-years-fast-2011.html

Territory Mom said...

I'm going to make this today. I have a box of Angel food cake mix but haven't made it because I don't have the right cake pan, now I don't need one. Thanks.

-J.D. Humenay said...

How about making them in cupcake cups to help w/ portion control?

They look yummy!

Jen Newsham said...

J. Darling - That's a great idea!

Kellie said...

Looks great! Can't wait to try it!

Losing Brownies said...

I'm impressed you are giving up chocolate! Best of luck with it!

Marlene said...

The chocolate fast is interesting Jenn. When I think of fasting I think of NO food for a time. Twice I have tried that and not been very successful. Funny but I remember reading part of that post but don't remember the part about fasting. Now you've got me thinking....again! ;-)

Jen Newsham said...

Losing Brownies - Thanks!

Marlene - It has been interesting, because I at times I forget I am even doing it! I go to eat something with chocolate in it and have to stop myself. It reminds me to pray and focus on God as I am avoiding or thinking about chocolate.

Lorie ~ Luray Lane Vintage said...


I made this yesterday for my son's Halloween party using the chocolate pudding. I used a hand mixer on medium and then put in a larger than 9x13 dish so it was about 2 in thickness. Then baked on 350 for 40 minutes. Turned out great!! Chewy bars everyone loved, I will make again!

Collette said...

I really do not understand this at all!


It says uses Angel Food Cake + 1 (1 1/2 ounce) package fat-free
*****chocolate instant pudding mix *****

and then Milk *********** Why is the Cake White ??? Chocolate Pudding!!!!!!!

Jennifer said...

Collette - Sorry for any confusion, you can whatever kind of pudding you like. In the example, I used french vanilla pudding. That's the best part is that you can use any kind of pudding you want.

Unknown said...

Real chocolate has many health benefits including raising endorphins. Lowering stress reduces cortisol which is responsible for the bodys response to stress-fat production. I'm confused as to why it's off limits in any diet? Loaded with minerals and even fiber too! (dark chocolate of course)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...