Thursday, June 30, 2011

Recipe Review: Banana Oat Cookies

A while back I was really craving some banana bread! I rarely make banana bread for myself, because it has such a high pointsplus+ value. Too me spending that many pointsplus+ on banana bread is not worth it. However, I still had some very ripe bananas that I needed to use before they went bad.

I set out on a mission to find a great recipe that used ripe bananas. It did not take long before I found this recipe for Banana Oat Cookies at Simply Daily Recipes. I knew I just had to try making these cookies.

I got to work right away making them. After they were finished I tried one. Let me just say that these cookies are incredible! They were so good that it was hard for me to keep my hands off of them!

If you are looking for a snack that tastes like banana bread, but does not kill you on pointsplus+ values then this is the cookie for you!

Here are the ingredients

First mix together the margarine and sugar.

Then, mix add the egg and bananas.

In a separate bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients. I added the oats first.

Then the flour.

Next, the salt,

baking soda,

cinnamon,

raisins, and coconut.

Stir all of the dry ingredients together.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.

Stir until you have cookie dough!

I use a scoop to help me with my portions. This makes all of the cookies the same size!

Place dough on cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

When the cookies have finished baking, remove the from the oven.

Place the hot cookies on a rack to cool.

I managed to avoid eating any dough while I baked the cookies!

As a reward, I ate one cookie to see how they turned out. Let me know tell you that the one I tried was great!

Enjoy!!

. . . . . . . . . .
Banana Oat Cookies
Source: Simply Daily Recipes

Ingredients
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter
1 egg
1 cup mashed very ripe bananas (2 medium)
2 1/2 cups oats
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/3 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup shredded coconut

Instructions
Get the oven hot to 350ºF. Spray oil on cookie sheet.

Beat sugar and butter until fluffy in a large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed. Stir in egg and bananas.

In a separate bowl, add all the remaining ingredients together. Add the dry ingredients to the wet in thirds, run mixer on low speed. Stir until dry ingredients are moistened.

Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls (use a 1 inch scooper) about 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes until edges are golden brown and almost no indentation remains when touched in center. Cool 1 to 2 minutes; remove from sheet to wire rack. Cool completely before storing.

These cookies are very good the next day. They become moist after being stored in an airtight container, so it's important to cool them completely before storing.

This recipe idea came from my secret cookie book. I added the raisins and coconuts, and skipped the suggested vanilla frosting. There are ways I could have made this recipe healthier; next time I'll use them.

I'll definitely make these again the next time I'm craving banana bread but don't have enough ripe bananas on hand.

Serves: 36; PointsPlus: 3
Serves: 48; PointsPlus: 2

7 comments:

mrsmarkdave said...

Oh I MUST try this. I'm a sucker for anything banana.

Jen Newsham said...

MrsMarkDave - Me too! These are so good!

-J.D. Humenay said...

Note to self: Add Mixer to the Wedding registry!

Anonymous said...

Try 2 cups oats, 4 bananas, 1 box of yellow cake mix, half a bag of butterscotch chips. Yum!!!

Anonymous said...

I used ungreased Parchment paper on the 2nd pan, cooked 11-12 minutes, then let them cool on pan a few minutes. They came off perfect without sticking. I ate 2 which tasted good, then froze rest in separate layers, hopefully they freeze well.

cj said...

no rasins so I just made these with craisins and nuts. Love, love.. thanks for the recipe,, love your site

cjpeterson38 said...

The teaspoon for baking soda is missing.
These sound wonderful! Thanks for sharing.
The recipe for the cake mix cookies sounds good and so does the craisins and nuts.
I just found your site and am looking forward to more of your wonderful recipes.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...