Thursday, August 2, 2012

Recipe Review: Soup or Sauce (S.O.S.) Mix

Today, I want to share with you another amazing recipe that I found on Pinterest!! I have seen this before, but I have never taken the time to calculate the pointsplus values for this recipe. I wish I had taken more of an interest in this recipe in the past, because it probably could have been saving me money for months.

I make a lot of recipes that require cream of chicken and/or cream of mushroom soup. I always use 98% Fat-Free Cream of Chicken soup, which is about 4 pointsplus for 1 can. I feel like I need to own stock in this product, because I purchase it so often!

I was excited to learn that the recipe below for this S.O.S. Mix is equal to 9 (10.5 oz) cans of cream soup and is only 3 pointsplus per serving!! This recipe is lower in pointsplus values than the 98% Fat-Free Cream of Chicken soup that I normally use. It is also homemade, so there are not any ingredients in this mixture that I did not put there myself.

The real test came when I used it in one of our favorite family recipes. I made Chicken and Rice with this S.O.S. mixture, instead of the cans of soup that I typically use, and it turned out great!! On top of all of that, with the SOS mixture one serving of Chicken and Rice was only 4 pointsplus per serving!

I am excited to continue to use this mixture!!

Ingredients

Combine all ingredients in a recloseable plastic bag or in a plastic container.



Shake all ingredients together until completely mixed.

This is your final product and it is equal to 9 (10.5 oz) cans of cream soup!

. . . . . . . . . .
Soup or Sauce (S.O.S.) Mix
______________________________

Servings: 9
Serving Size: 1/3 cup of dry S.O.S. mix 
Calories: 69
Fat: 0.3 g
Fiber: 0.2 g
Protein: 1.9 g
Old Points: 1 pts
Points+: 3 pts+
______________________________

Ingredients
2 cups powdered non-fat dry milk
3/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup instant chicken bouillon (regular or low sodium)
2 Tbsp dried onion flakes
2 tsp Italian seasoning (optional)

Instructions
Combine all ingredients in a recloseable plastic bag, mixing well. Equal to 9 (10.5 oz) cans of cream soup.

To substitute for 1 can of cream soup
Combine 1/3 cup of dry mix with 1 1/4 cups of cold water. Whisk until well blended. Cook and stir on stove top or in microwave until thickened. Add thickened mixture to casseroles as you would a can of soup.

Store in closed plastic bag or air-tight container until ready to use. It does not have to be refrigerated.

7 comments:

Kathy Olson said...

Just curious...Are the 3 pts+ for the equivalent of one can of soup or a portion of a can?

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing. I have all the ingredients at home already. I will try this one for sure.

Ashley King said...

I've sen this and I have wanted to give it a try. I'm glad to hear good results with awesome weight watchers goodness!

Jen Newsham said...

Kathy Olson - the 3 pointsplus is equivalent to one can of soup.

Troy Produce said...

I found this recipe too a few months go and I use this for everything!!!

I make my own cream of mushroom by just sauting chopped mushrooms and it's soooo good.

Jeniffer Soliz, M.Ed. said...

I had just given up on WW when I stumbled on your blog via pinterest. I'm so inspired. Thank you so much!!!

Heather said...

What do you do when a recipe calls for one can of cream of mushroom and one can cream of chicken? Do you need to flavor this based on which cream soup it calls for?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...