Thursday, August 4, 2011

Recipe Review: Sweet Barbacoa Pork

I am a HUGE fan of Gina's Weight Watchers recipes. Gina's website is called, www.skinnytaste.com. She has awesome recipe ideas that are Weight Watchers friendly. I eat a lot of her recipes throughout the month. I am happy to say that several of these recipes have become staples in our home!

I am so excited to do a recipe review for this recipe!!

Marinade ingredients

Mix ingredients together and let sit for a few hours or overnight. I let mine sit overnight.

Ingredients for the sauce "step 2".

I used more than 8 oz of Coke Zero, I used about 12 oz.

Add tomato sauce

Add 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce

Add the rest of your spices

and brown sugar

Stir together. I made this sauce the night before and let it sit in the fridge overnight.

I work all day and would not be able to follow the recipe instructions that Gina gives below. So, before work, I added the sauce to the marinade.

I let everything cook together for about 13 hours on low, while I was at work and Weight Watchers.

When I got home, Jon shred the pork for me.

I measured out 3 oz of pork just for me!

The pork turned out so great! We made tacos the first night. However, we have a lot of leftovers. For the next few nights we will have pork sandwiches and pork over rice with black beans.

. . . . . . . . . .
Slow Cooked Sweet Barbacoa Pork
Source: Gina's Weight Watchers Recipes

Ingredients
Marinade:
2.5 lbs pork loin roast, all fat trimmed
salt and pepper
garlic powder
6 oz Coke zero
1/4 cup brown sugar (unpacked)
1/4 cup water

Step 2
8 oz Coke zero
6 oz can sliced green chilies
8 oz tomato sauce
1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp chipotle chili powder (to taste)
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup brown sugar (unpacked)

Instructions
Season pork with salt, pepper and garlic powder and place in the crock pot. Add 6 oz of coke and 1/4 cup of brown sugar. Marinate refrigerated for a few hours or overnight turning meat at least once while marinating.

Remove crock from refrigerator, add water, and cook on high for about 3-4 hours (or until it shreds easily). Remove pork from crock pot and discard any liquid left in the pot. Shred pork with two forks.

Step two: In the crock pot, combine 8 oz coke, green chilies, tomato sauce, chipotle chile, garlic powder, cumin, chipotle chili powder and remaining brown sugar.

Put shredded pork back in the crock pot and combine with sauce. Adjust salt and pepper to taste, cover and cook on high 1-1/2 hours more.

Servings: about 10 • Serving Size: 3 oz • Old Points: 4.5 pts • Points+: 5 pts • Calories: 202.5 • Fat: 6.3 g • Protein: 26.2 g • Carb: 11.5 g • Fiber: 0.6 g

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...