Thursday, September 29, 2011

Recipe Review: Soda Cupcakes

Last night I was baking up a storm! It was funny, because I was watching The Biggest Loser on Hulu at the same time as I was baking such yummy treats.

You see tonight we are having friends over for dinner and I was trying to make dessert ahead of time, so that I am not running around like a crazy person today. I really baking a lot and I wanted to try and make a Weight Watchers friendly dessert to share with our friends. I found just what I was looking for right here on my blog in My Recipe Collection!

Without further ado here is today's recipe review for Soda Cupcakes!

Ingredients

Pour the dry cake mix in a large bowl.

Add one can of diet soda.

Thoroughly whisk the two ingredients together.

Make sure to get all the lumps out.

I used a measuring cup to transfer the batter into cupcake liners.

WARNING: These cupcakes are very sticky. If you are not going to use cupcake liners make sure that you use nonstick spray on whatever pan you choose to bake this in.

This recipe said that it only made 12 cupcakes. However, I had so much batter that I probably could have gotten 24 cupcakes instead. Bake the cupcakes at 350 degree and refer to cake-mix box for pan size and approximate bake time.

The cupcakes right after I took them out of the oven.

Yummy!

I took the cupcakes out of the pan and let them cool.

These cupcakes are sweet enough that you might not need anything on top.

I put Cool Whip Free on top of my cupcake.

The final product!

These were so good! Enjoy!!

. . . . . . . . . .
Soda Cupcakes
Source: Hungry Girl

Ingredients
1 Boxed Cake Mix (any flavor)
12 fl oz Diet Soda (any flavor)

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk thoroughly and transfer to a baking pan sprayed with nonstick spray; bake in the oven until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. (Refer to cake-mix box for pan size and approximate bake time.)

MAKES 12 SERVINGS

Best Flavor Combo
Yellow cake mix + diet cream soda. Runners-up include lemon cake mix + diet lemon-lime soda and devil's food cake mix + diet cherry cola.

The Texture
Moist and light.

The Taste
Pretty darn impressive! However, if you're sensitive to the sweetener in diet soda, you may notice a slight aftertaste... especially if you use cola of any kind.

Icing Options
Cupcakes can be frosted with 2 tablespoons of low fat whipped topping without affecting its point total. Also, to offer a richer flavor, one might try combining 1 1/2 cups of fat free vanilla yogurt with one package of Jell-O Sugar Free Fat Free Cheesecake Pudding. Mix thoroughly and top with 2 tablespoons per cupcake just before serving.

Choosing the Right Cake Flavor and Diet Soda
Pairing the cake mix and soda is crucial to flavor, but is not rocket science. For those hankering a lemon cake, the choice is obvious - lemon lime soda. Chocolate cake taste bests if a diet chocolate soda can be found (check out Waist Watchers Soda brand). If this somewhat elusive flavor cannot be found, opt for a diet cola or cream soda instead. Yellow and white cake mixes work well with lemon lime or cream sodas.

PER SERVING (1 piece, 1/12th of cake): 171 calories, 3.25g fat, 301mg sodium, 34g carbs, <0.5g fiber, 19g sugars, 1.5g protein --PointsPlus® value 5*

3 comments:

Hannah said...

That is very cool! Who knew you could make cupcakes without eggs and oil?

I'm going to try this out soon, because I'm always looking for uses for cake mixes since they go on sale so incredible cheap with coupons...practically free. Thanks for the recipe, we'll enjoy the health benefits, too!

-J.D. Humenay said...

What a great idea! I do a fall baking binge every year and ship out "care packages". Everyone loves getting them since it's a surprise and before the Christmas rush. One year, I did a boxed ginger bread mix w/ apple sauce instead of other wet ingredients. I cut out a marzipan apple to decorate the tops. Lower cal and well received. These should be even better! I can imagine that if you sent a little jam with it, it would be AWESOME. :)

My Recent Favorite Books said...

This recipe sounds great, and I love all the variations on it! =)
and...I love the Cool Whip on top, nice touch!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...