Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Election Reflections

source

Preface: I don't normally write about politics, because I don't know much about it. These are simple reflections that I wanted to write out for myself. I hope and pray that they encourage you this morning.

Last night, President Obama was re-elected. My Facebook and Twitter feeds were filled with posts of all kinds of reactions and responses. Some people were excited and bragging about their victory. Others were so mad that they want to move to Canada. I'm not sure that either candidate was the "perfect" choice.

"In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord SEATED on a throne..." Isaiah 6:1

For me, the most important thing to remember is that God is on His throne and in control. I am so thankful that this fact never changes! God was in control yesterday and He is still in control today.

"For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father’s family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this?” - Esther 4:14

Next, this past Sunday my Pastor preached a sermon called, Sitting in the Gate of Sodom. Pastor Keith shared about how we as Christians need to live our lives based on Biblical principles. He said that it's time for Christians to stop taking a passive approach to sin and that revival needs to start with us. 

Pastor Keith reminded me that it is important for Jon and I to lead our family in righteousness. As many of you know, Jon and I long to be missionaries overseas and we have been frustrated that God has not shown us where we should go yet. However, as my heart breaks for the state of my own country I can't help but wonder if God wants us to stay here for such a time as this.

"I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people—for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness." - 1 Timothy 2:1-2

Finally, it's critical to remember that our President is not our spiritual leader. That being said, we must pray for our President, whether we like him or not. I hope that you will join me and committ to praying for our country and President Obama as he serves another four year term.

11 comments:

mrsmarkdave said...

Well said!

Unknown said...

This is a great post. We serve a God that cannot fail. In our disappointment in the outcome of the election, we forget that God is in control. He can use this time to show His power and authority, to turn this nation back to Him. He hardened the heart of Pharaoh to prove that He delivered the children of Israel, not Pharaoh. We need to trust in Him, He loves us and HE IS OUR SOURCE!!! Thank you for your insight here. God Bless You.

Kathy S said...

I agree, we must pray for our President and our country. We live in a great country and compared to others there is not where else I would rather live. Bless you on your journey!

Dicky Bird said...

Very good! I posted today that I trust in Jesus and the Thrid Day song link to youtube. We NEED prayer for our leaders, fellow citizens and the president - now more than ever. God is in control He has a plan...we are living it! Blessings from Wisconsin.

Sharon said...

Hi Jennifer! Thank you for your blog! This is such a great reminder! We serve THE Awesome and Sovereign GOD of the universe. He remains in complete control and does whatever He pleases. No matter who is the president, He is still seated on His throne, drawing people to Himself and conforming them to His image! Praise God! Our hope is not in fallible men, but in an infallible, holy God!

Here is an article that also helps remind us of that :)
http://thecripplegate.com/reliable-source-reveals-novembers-election-is-already-fixed/

Cotton Blossom said...

I could not have said that better myself. On Tuesday I prayed Lord your will be done with the election and on Wednesday I found myself hoping within myself for my candidate to win. The Holy Spirit quickly convinced me that I was off track. I believe that God has a plan much greater than ours and He is always in control! Thank you for sharing your thoughts. You are an encouragement to me. BTW, I has lost 49 lbs. as of this morning at weigh in. I am so hoping for 50 before Thanksgiving. Please keep me in your prayers as you are in mine.

AshB said...

Great thoughts today.
I am reminded of John 16:33
"In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."

AshB said...

Great thoughts today.
It makes me think of John 16:33
"In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."

Anonymous said...

Good word. Thank you for being such a good Encourager - about living for God and about living a healthier life. I just re-started Weight Watchers last week and really bombed out, as I am still grieving losing my 2 foster children that my husband and I had for a year and really did some stress GORGING 3 different times. Fortunately, it was only those 3 times (in the 1st weeks after losing the kids, it had been all day every day) plus I got in the first of 2 really good workouts in. I went online looking for encouragement AND FOUND YOU! You were exactly the same weight I began my healthier-life path at 2 years ago (I'm down to 191 today) and your goal weight is exactly mine. I'm a 51 year old grandmother with a thyroid condition & Weight Watchers is the only plan that I can lose weight on. I came back to WW when they went to Point Plus because fruit is 0. I had been studying healthy eating and felt WW was so wrong limiting fruits so when they made that change, it was HUGE. I stay MUCH more satisfied and happy on the new plan.
BTW - I've been a foreign missionary, worked for a non-profit, plus, obviously a foster parent. - Please be sure and find your wholeness where you are TODAY. Raising a precious child is a once-in-a-lifetime privilege that lasts for SUCH a short season. Treasure each moment. This is God's assignment for you now. The fulfillment of living a whole life walking with God within the confines of our own homes and families is just as satisfying and fulfilling as one spent while in foreign missions. There is no difference - He is the same God we are relating with - no matter what our geography, or our current life assignment.

Unknown said...

I agree Jennifer. He does need our prayers. I am not happy with it either, I wanted God to heal our land. But Im sure we are just fulfilling our Biblical prophesy. I just wanted so bad for good to win over evil. I am so worried of what will become of our country but I know we are indeed in God's hands. And God will only tolerate so much.

Unknown said...

I agree Jennifer. He does need our prayers. I am not happy with it either, I wanted God to heal our land. But Im sure we are just fulfilling our Biblical prophesy. I just wanted so bad for good to win over evil. I am so worried of what will become of our country but I know we are indeed in God's hands. And God will only tolerate so much.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...