Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Build a Smarter Salad

source

In the meeting room this past week we talked about "Building a Smarter Salad".

Did you know that when you dine out at a resturant picking a salad can be a very dangerous choice? Many of you might consider salads "safe", but I am here to tell you that this is not true. Just in case you do not believe me, I am going to give you some examples of what I am talking about.

{Chili's Caribbean Salad with Grilled Chicken}
source
This salad sounds appeal with fresh pineapple, mandarin oranges, dried cherries, red bell peppers, green onions, cilantro, sesame seeds, honey-lime dressing, and grilled chicken. However, in total for one salad it is 16 pointsplus!

{Applebee's Oriental Chicken Salad}
source

Like the salad we read about above this sounds very tasty with fresh Asian greens tossed in a tasty Oriental vinaigrette and topped with crispy noodles, toasted almonds and golden fried chicken tenders. However, if you order the regular sized version of this salad with dressing it is 38 pointsplus!

These are just a few examples of salads that are high in pointsplus values. Always be sure to check the nutritional information before dining out, so that you can make the wisest choice possible!

Eating out and ordering a salad might not be the best choice for you. However, enjoying salads at home are a great option. When you make a salad at home YOU choose what goes on top of your salad. This week Weight Watchers encouraged us to look at our choices and make sure that we are building the best salad that we possibly can!

Here are just a few things to remember as you being to build better salads of your own.

1. Fill your plate with 0 pointsplus fruits and vegetables. Make sure that the majority of your plate is cover with fruits and veggies. These are not going to cost you any pointsplus. In addition, fruits and veggies are going to keep you feeling full and satisfied for a longer amount of time!

2. Try to avoid piling on high pointsplus valued toppings. If you enjoy croutons that's great, but is that going to keep you full for the longest amount of time? Maybe choose to top your salad with a protein like chicken instead! Also, you might have three or four favorite toppings to put on your salad. Try using just one or two, so that you can keep the pointsplus values down. Rotating through your favorite toppings each time you have a salad will help you to enjoy them more when you actually get to each them.

3. Beware of high pointsplus valued dressings! When I first started Weight Watchers I refused to give up my fatty dressings, because I enjoyed them so much. However, as I lost weight and had less and less pointsplus values to use each day, I reevaluated my high pointsplus dressings. Finding an alternative was a great option for me, because then I could use those pointsplus values on something else I really wanted!

Everyone is different and what I enjoy on my salad is probably not the same as what you like to eat. That's okay! Take time to build a salad that works just for you!

3 comments:

Mrs. Ferguson said...

I'm loving your blog! Thanks for all that you share with us.

So what types of dressings do you find to be the most points friendly and still tasty?

Jen Newsham said...

Dear Anonymous - Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. This blog is designed to be an encouraging place for everyone who is losing weight. I do not post comments of criticism that are directed toward me only, because no one else needs to see that. If you would like to email me at livingachangedlife@gmail.com, I would be more than willing to begin to have a conversation with you about the difficults that you are experiencing with my blog.

God Bless,
Jennifer @ Living a Changed Life

Unknown said...

Bolthouse farms started making yogurt based dressing and most of them are 1 Points+ value per 2 Tbsp including Blue Cheese, salsa ranch, and caesar! They're extra delicious also!! I found it at Sprouts here in San Antonio but HEB carries it as well in the cold/fresh veggie area!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...