Monday, June 11, 2012
Set Summer Goals
Today, I want to give you the meeting summary from my Weight Watchers meeting on Saturday, June 9, 2012.
You have 13 weeks between now and labor day. Think of what a difference you can make in your weight loss journey during that time if you just set your mind to it. You can be successful over summer, it is just going to take some planning.
For many of us, summer is vacation season. Our focus shifts from routines, schedules and carpools to getaways, reunions, outdoor dining, amusement parks and concerts. Food is often a big part of these fun summer experiences, and it can be easy to lose sight of how much you're consuming. However, with a little planning, you can enjoy all the season has to offer and still stay on track.
I want you to take the time to set 3 summer goals.
• In 13 weeks where would you like your weight to be? (remember that healthy, sustainable weight loss is .5-2lbs per week)
• What would you like to achieve activity wise in 13 weeks? (Let the Live Life Active challenge help you reach this goal.)
• What would you like to change about your current lifestyle in 13 weeks? (Do you want to cook more meals at home, do you want to go to bed earlier, do you want to increase your water intake)
Remember when setting goals to do it S.M.A.R.T.
S.M.A.R.T & Positive Goals
- Specific: Don't be vague. Exactly what do you want?
- Measurable: Quantify your goal. How will you know if you've achieved it or not?
- Attainable & Action Oriented: Be honester with yourself about what you can reasonably accomplish. You need to be able to take action!
- Realistic: It's got to be do-able, real and practical.
- Time: Associate a time frame with each goal. When should you complete the goal?
- Positive: Keep your goal POSITIVE!
It is entirely possible to have success over the summer as long as you take the time to plan out foreseen roadblocks. Take the time to mark on your calendar days that will pose the most challenge. These may be holidays, vacations, family reunions, picnics, etc. If you know when they are coming than you can save your weekly pointsplus allowance for that day. You may even be more active that week to earn some extra activity pointsplus. Remember other good techniques are to bring your own healthy dishes, and to eat a power food snack before you go so that you are not as hungry when you get there.