Thursday, January 30, 2020

What's Your God Story?



“Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” - Colossians‬ ‭3:16-17‬ ‭ESV‬‬ 

In so many ways, it’s been a very emotional week with the helicopter crash, an earthquake, the coronavirus, an impeachment trial, and so much more. If I watch the news for too long, I can easily become depressed and overwhelmed. Can I let you in on a little secret!?

In Jon’s family, whenever life gets tough and we’re really discouraged, we play a game called, “I remember when...”. The point of the game is to take turns, filling in the blank and finishing the sentence by sharing about a time in your life when you remember God’s goodness and faithfulness. You can share something about your own life or choose to share a story about someone else in our family to help jog their memory.

Honestly, it’s so encouraging to be reminded about God’s love for each of us!! That being said, I want us to take turns and share "remember whens" and stir up thankfulness in one another.

I’ll go first.

I remember when...my Mom was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. On top of everything else, my family was scheduled to move to Hong Kong in one week. As if I didn’t have enough on my plate already. I didn’t understand how I could leave my Mom, never knowing if I would see her again.

My heart was torn.

As I prayed and poured out my heart to the Lord, He assured me, my Mom wouldn’t be alone, because my brothers and sisters would help her in my absence. So in faith, we left our home in East Texas and moved to Hong Kong.

Ultimately, God was so good and faithful to provide for my Mom!! The Lord took care of her when I couldn’t. As I was on the other side of the world, God comforted me when I was homesick and missing my family. He graciously brought healing to my Mom, who is now in remission and I’m praying God continues to be glorified through my Mom's story. Praise the Lord!!

"Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever!" 
- 1 Chronicles 16:34 ESV

Alright now it’s your turn...
What’s your God story? How have you seen God’s goodness and faithfulness manifested in your life?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...