Thursday, June 19, 2014

Notes to Self

Tuesday I went off plan. It wasn't intentional, but it just kind of happened. We were meeting my Dad for lunch and instead of taking the time to make something healthy for myself, I just opted to eat what everyone else was eating for lunch. I had plenty of pointsplus for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. However, instead of adjusting the rest of my day accordingly, I let myself go and ate whatever I wanted throughout the rest of the day.

As a result of my poor food choices, I spent Tuesday evening in a lot of physical pain. There is a good chance that I have some gallbladder stones that tend to act up when I make bad food choices. I have not had an attack like this in a long time. While I was doing everything I could to ease my pain, I decided that I need to begin to write notes of encouragement to myself, so that this won't happen again.

Yesterday, that is exactly what I did!


I wrote two notes to self, "If you feel like going off plan" and "If you feel like overeating". In my note, I described how it felt to eat off plan on Tuesday. I reminded myself of how far I have come and to continue to keep up the good work.  I also mentioned just how awful I feel when I overeat or eat off plan.

I don't want this slip up to keep me from reaching my weight loss goals, but I want to learn from them. The next time I feel like overeating, I can pull out my note to self and be encouraged to make a healthy choice. I am excited to see how well these notes work in the coming months as I continue to lose my baby weight.

As I have more time, I plan to write additional notes to myself. I have a list of ideas below.

- If you feel discouraged
- If you feel like you are ugly
- If you feel defeated
- If you feel like you are having a fat day
- If you feel like going off plan
- If you feel like overeating

Are there notes that you need to write to yourself? What other ideas do you have? What would your note to self say?

5 comments:

dupster said...

Physical pain is a good motivator for me NOT to eat certain food. I struggled for almost a year with episodes of severe cramping, and after much testing, was finally diagnosed with an ulcer (self-caused by too much aspirin for knee pain). But during that time, if there was anything that I thought led to a cramping episode, it was easy for me to avoid that food. Wish I was that self-disciplined about avoiding the food that I know will cause me to gain weight..

Kimberly said...

I love this idea! I think I'll steal this one if you don't mind. Thanks...I'm always encouraged by your blog!

Unknown said...

This is a great idea. I'm visiting my family in SC and haven't been eating well. There's so much wonderful, tasty, southern food and it's hard to not say no, especially when your mom cooks all your favorites when you come down. I'm going to do this right now for the rest of my trip. :)

Unknown said...

What a great idea! I'm using this the rest of my stay visiting family in SC. It's so hard to say no to yummy southern food, especially when your mom cooks all your favorites! :)

Unknown said...

I came across one of your recipes on Pinterest. The berry cobbler. I feel that I was guided to your blog. I have been struggling with my weight loss since March. I continue to go to my WW meetings. Since I had knee surgery in April I cannot semm to get back into my routines and have stopped tracking. I think your note to self is a great tool for me to use to get back on track. You really have a remarkable way to communicate your victories and set backs. Thanks for this blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...