Wednesday, March 13, 2013

My "New" Hobby

I have been searching for a new hobby and I think I finally decided what it is going to be...

RUNNING!!

It's been a while since I was interested in running. It was back in August 2009, I ran in my first 5K. Honestly, since I had Olivia, I have not been in to running/jogging or exercise of any kind. I have convinced myself that I do not have time for exercise right now and I have made a lot of excuses. However, I am here to tell you that the excuses stop today, because I signed myself up for the Heels & Hills Half Marathon!!

What was I thinking!?

I mean, I am so excited! There are just about 8 weeks until my half marathon!

Ideally, you need 12 weeks to complete all of your training and prepare your body for a half marathon. However, my goal is to finish this half-marathon...that's it. So, even if it means that I have to walk part of the way that is fine with me, because I just want to know that I can do this and be excited about exercising again!!

source

When I was new to running back in 2009, I found a book that really helped me called, "Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide" by, Hal Higdon. I will be using this book and Hal's Half Marathon Training Guide - Novice 1 Program that can be found online.

I am looking forward to blogging more about this over the next few weeks and months!

8 comments:

Robyn said...

Signing up for a marathon is a huge motivator! Kudos to you for setting a goal for yourself :) I recently started a C25K program and have been looking at 5Ks in my area to sign up for, a little extra motivation I think :)

The Unlikely Runner said...

This is awesome! I have heard really great things about Heels and Hills and I think I may do that one as well - I'm trying to encourage my mom to walk the 5K there as well! Good luck with training!

-J said...

Your timing of this post is much-needed. I had just started C25K in November. Then I went away for a week and got out of the habit. (But I'm convinced that the interval training led to weight loss!) The next week I found out I'd be having surgery, and I'm just now recovered enough to exercise. Plus, in my case, recovery = couch potato + emotional eating, so I've got some extra pounds to work off. I'll look forward to your inspiration as I read (and hopefully) exercise along with you!

JG said...

Go you! You'll do great! :) Have you seen "Spirit of the Marathon"? It's a documentary on Netflix Instant and I find it very motivational, even though I'm not a runner.

The Skinny on Staci said...

That makes it super real! Now you HAVE to get up and go, Mommy! :) Best of luck to you!

-J.D. Humenay said...

Hoping to sign up for Disney's Wine and Dine 1/2 marathon this fall w/ my brother (if I can talk him into it). We need something to look forward to right now!

wendi said...

You also might really like a book and program called "Run for God". It's a running program with a Christian focus. They have racing events too, depending on where you live, and if there's a Run for God group in your area.

My Recent Favorite Books said...

Congratulations on signing up for the half marathon!! =)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...