Here is a summary of my Weight Watchers meeting on November 24, 2009.
I know this time of year is oh so hectic but just remember how important it is to stay in the boat! You haven’t worked all year long to lose weight….just to give it up now.
Over the last couple of weeks we have talked about how important it is to keep your goals in focus. We talked about trying to make new traditions by incorporating activity into your family holidays.
We practiced visualizing our plates and the food choices we are going to make on Thanksgiving day. Last night we talked about peer pressure from our friends and relatives. Some of these may sound familiar to you:
• “You already look so thin why are you trying to lose weight”
• “Just one bite won’t hurt you.”
• “But I made this especially for you…Just the way you like it!”
• “Now I can’t eat all this myself. Have some more.”
• “I know you packed your lunch but doesn’t Papacitas sound good?”
At least one of these phrases probably sounds familiar to you. Know that you will probably encounter someone over the holidays who might be trying to sabotage what you have worked so hard for. When this happens there are a couple of things to remember:
• Be assertive. - Make sure they understand how much it means to you and how important eating healthy is for you.
• Remember the helpful habits you have developed. - Remember all your techniques such as measuring out your food and being able to see some of the bottom of your plate.
• Positive Self Talk - Give yourself a peptalk…help yourself get through it. Remind your brain and tummy how many points are in each thing!
• Ask for Help! - If you truly think that you are not going to be able to control yourself over the holidays ask a family member for help. If it’s the “Oreo balls” on the counter that call to you, ask someone to keep them away. They are your family/friends and if you just ask them to be there for you they will.
• Practice to win! - Sit down and run through all the scenarios in your head. Where are you going to sit, what is on your plate, are you going back for seconds? Are you going to be active? Are you going to be a grazer?