Saturday, September 15, 2012

Being Tongue Tied


This is a blog post that I wrote on my phone this past week on Thursday, September 13, 2012.  I have not had a chance to post it until now.

I've only been a mother for two short weeks. Everyday it feels like I am learning something new about my daughter and myself.

One week ago we found out that Olivia was tongue tied. It has made it very hard for her to nurse and she has not been gaining weight like a new baby should. Everyone I know has said that this condition is fairly common in newborns and should not take long to fix. That's easy for them to say! Being a new Mom, nothing feels common and normal.

At our two week well visit we found out that Olivia had not gained much weight at all and that we needed to have a procedure done to release her tongue as soon as possible. Currently, I'm sitting in the waiting room for an ear, nose, and throat doctor that I've never met, but I am supposed to trust with my baby's life.

I don't trust this doctor right now. However, I do trust the Lord and that's ultimately what matters most. God knew I would be in this situation being asked to trust Him in this way. I am so thankful that I can trust in God above everything else.

Thankfully, the procedure went well! I think I cried just as much as Olivia. I tried explaining the the doctor and his nurse that it was just my hormones going a little crazy! They were very understanding and took good care of Olivia and me.

I'm sure that this is just one of many situations that I will find myself in where I am asked to trust God with the life of my daughter. It's not easy, but that's what Olivia needs from me. I could worry, fret, and work myself into a frenzy. However, that is not what I want to teach Olivia. I want her to see God as trustworthy because I trust Him and Jon trusts Him.

Olivia has already started eating better which is an answer to prayer! Please continue to pray that Olivia gains enough weight to get back up to her birth weight.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are going to be a great mom! Your blog is an inspiration to me daily on my journey to a new, healthier me. Keep trusting God and everything will turn out GREAT!

Tamie said...

This is not an unusual thing, I have had a couple of nephews that needed their tongue 'clipped' amazing what happens with a little more flexability! I know this is hard for moms, but it is better in the long run, Will keep you both in my prayers! Enjoy this time ...it will fly by. I know I have 8 children, and oh, how I miss those days! But am blessed with grandchildren now =D

~mel said...

ooohhh ... scary when your baby is having a problem. My friends daughter had that same thing when she was a newborn. Amazing how quickly they bounce back. Everything will be fine ~ enjoy that precious gift the Good Lord has blessed you with:)

Anonymous said...

Glad things went well and I bet in no time she will be passed her birth weight.
One of my daughters was tongue tied never knew it until she was 3 and dentist said so and he did the procedure and she was fine.

raven spirit song said...

sending love light and healing to you and olivia!! <*)

raven spirit song said...

love light and healing to you and olivia!! <*)

raven spirit song said...

love light and healing to you and olivia!! <*)

mrsmarkdave said...

Oh dear Jen! I'm so sorry you all have had to endure this. You are right...this may be a common problem in general, but it isn't to you.
Don't ever be embarrassed about being heart broken and emotional over your child. It's part of being a mother. This is definitely not the last time you'll have sympathy tears for your daughter :-)
I'm glad that things are going better.

Anonymous said...

Good for you to get your baby' tongue tie clipped. My son was tongue tided as well and after it was clipped he nursed like a champ and it felt better for me, too. Your beautiful daughter will be gaining wight now and your milk production will probably increase.
God bless,
Katha

Cintia Listenbee said...

Congratulations mom! I'll keep praying for you and your gorgeous baby girl.

The Skinny on Staci said...

My brother had that. Good that it's so easy to take care of, but I would've bawled, too! Are you nursing? I nursed all 4 of mine. I made it 5 months, 6 months, 1 year, and then 9 months respectively with my kids. My best advice is let the baby completely finish on one side until SHE is through. Then burp her and offer the other side. It may mean she eats for 20 or 30 on one side and only 5 on the other, but the longer they nurse on one side, the fattier milk they start pulling from your body. It fattens them up better and keeps them full longer. Then, of course, offer the last breast taken first on the next feed. Some hospitals say you should feed for 10 minutes off one side, then switch. LLL and others don't go that route. My babies were all past their birth weight at 2 weeks, and my ped was shocked. haha And I hope you bought some Lansinoh cream, purple tube. ;) My kids were so excited to see your baby. They love babies. I hope you don't hate me. I swear I'm nice and not pushy!!! I'm just always full of info and ideas. haha Hope things are going better for you now! Enjoy every second of her! My first born just turned 9 - unreal!

Mary Jane said...

I just started reading your blog a week ago. My husband and I had a little girl (Susan Louise) in March. She will be 6 months old on Wednesday. You are right, nothing feels common or normal - everything feels very scary. It took Susan about 2.5 weeks to gain back to her birth weight. I know I am just a stranger, but all I can say is hang in there! Once your little family figures out its rhythm, things will improve.

Something that helped us was Secrets of the Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg. Not sure if you have read it but y'all might want to check it out. It helped our family find just a little structure in such a chaotic new world! Good luck!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...