Friday, February 17, 2012

Choosing the Healthiest Snacks

source

I receive regular email updates with different information about my pregnancy from What to Expect and Baby Center. The Baby Center emails are by far my favorite!

Last night, I received an email update from Baby Center with a subject line that read, 5 worst foods for pregnant women. In the body of the email there were two different links to choose from 10 foods that are perfect for pregnancy and 5 worst foods for pregnant women. I quickly clicked on the links to see if I have been eating the best foods possible.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that so far throughout my pregnancy, I have been eating many of the best foods that I possibly can!! Below I've attached the list from Baby Center of ten tasty foods to try – and five to avoid – all recommended by Heidi Reichenberger, a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association, and Elizabeth Somer, a registered dietitian and the author of Nutrition for a Healthy Pregnancy: The Complete Guide to Eating Before, During, and After Your Pregnancy.

Healthy "fast foods"
1. Fruit
2. Raisins
3. Yogurt
4. Make-it-yourself trail mix
5. Salad Bar
6. Baby Carrots
7. String Cheese
8. Orange juice fortified with calcium and vitamin D
9. Whole grain cereal or instant oatmeal
10. Fat-free or low-fat cottage cheese

Foods to avoid
1. Packaged ramen noodles
2. Soda
3. Shelf-stable commercial lunches
4. Too many frozen prepared meals
5. Iceberg lettuce

These lists above ARE healthy for pregnant woman, but they are also just healthy foods for everyone. Even if you are not pregnant at this time, this is a good list of the kinds of snack foods that you should be stocking up on while you are learning to lead a healthier lifestyle.

I am so thankful that I joined Weight Watchers and have had time to change my eating habits! I could not imagine what I would have been eating if I had gotten pregnant 3 or 4 years ago. Many of the foods on this list, I always have on hand at home. I am glad that I do not need to run out to the store and buy new snacks for myself, because I have already have them!

Pregnant or not, make sure that you spend time evaluating the snacks that you have in your home. If they are not the healthiest choices slowly get rid of them and replace them with something better for you and your family!

I hope you have a great weekend!!

Also, I posted my 12 week pregnancy highlights on Newsham Flight Log, so be sure to check them out!!

2 comments:

Kristy said...

What about Weight Watcher frozen meals? I carry those for lunch everyday. :) Thanks.

Unknown said...

Cashew nuts have a savory flavor and soft, perfect as a snack. Nutritional cashew nuts are also good because protein is needed to build the fetal cells.


Maureen Muoneke

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...