Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Don't Throw In The Towel

source

No baby yet! Sorry for the lack of blogging recently! I only have one week left until my due date and things are busy, busy, busy!

This morning, I finally had time to sit down and answer some emails from my blog readers/followers. I am so thankful that I took the time to do this, because it gave me inspiration for my blog post today!!

Today, I want to try and offer each of you some encouragement!! I receive emails on a regular basis from men and women who are trying to lose weight. I am so thankful for your willingness to be open and vulnerable about your struggles to lose weight. I appreciate your transparency so much!!

A pattern I’ve notice is that many of you begin your weight loss journeys and then within a month or two you are so discouraged that you already want to quit! Why are you so quick to throw in the towel? It’s so hard to read emails like this, because I know that if you stick with your weight loss program you will be successful. I know what it feels like when you don’t think you are getting anywhere, but I do not think that’s a reason to give up.

Below are three different ideas that you can try if you experience discouragement along your weight loss journey. These things helped me so much in my own journey and I know that they will work for you too!

First, you need to adjust your expectations. Healthy, long-term weight loss is slow. I know that none of you want to hear this, but it is true. You did not put on your weight in one night and you won’t be able to take it off that quickly either. If you are coming into your weight loss journey thinking that you will lose 4-5 pounds per week, you need to readjust your expectations so that you can avoid discouragement. Take time to create healthy and realistic expectations for yourself!

Second, celebrate EVERY victory, no matter how small you think it is!! You must being to change your mindset if you are going to be successful in your weight loss journey. A loss on the scale is a loss…period. I have heard from you all in emails and from my own Weight Watchers members that they, “only” lost 0.2 pounds. I know that you get frustrated that you did not lose more weight. However, please remember that loss is a loss. All of those 0.2’s and 0.3’s eventually begin to add up to whole pound! Change your attitude and begin to be thankful for those small amounts of weight that you lost, knowing that eventually it will add up to something bigger.

Finally, do not give up. You must keep persevering! You are worth it, no matter how much time it takes to lose weight! You need to become committed to your weight loss journey no matter what! Do not believe lies about yourself that you cannot do this, because it’s not true! It takes 21 days to make something a habit in your life. That’s quite a bit of time! Be patient while you learn to undo a lifetime of bad food choices. This was so important for me while I was losing weight in 2008-09, because I did not care how long my journey would take me. It didn’t matter, because I had already decided that I would be on Weight Watchers no matter how long it took me to get my weight off. Are you truly committed to your weight loss journey?

It is okay to be frustrated, especially when you are following the program and it does not seem to be working the way you thought they would. Just don’t let your frustration lead you to quit your weight loss journey, before it has really begun!

Have you been frustrated throughout your own weight loss journey? What are things that you did to avoid discouragement and get back on track?

2 comments:

Troy Produce said...

Wow! This is weird, but last week I copied your email. Even pasted it into a fresh new email and thought to myself...what the heck would I say to her? Like she really wants to hear about my struggles. Hmmm??? I never ended up sending anything, but I guess you really would haven't had minded my email. Glad to know. Thanks for listening (or not listening)...but being there regardless. LOL :)

Holly Breeden said...

I am one of the e-mails you replied to this week and I just want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for the encouragement. You are a wonderful inspiration and I one day hope to be where you are.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...