Monday, May 14, 2012

Keep Your Motivation Going Strong

source

This week we are going to focus on talking about motivation!! This was the topic was featured during last week's Weight Watchers meetings and I think it is important enough for us to talk about throughout the rest of this week.

Many of us start our weight loss journeys with good intentions. In the beginning, it is our desire to finish strong and reach our goal weight! However, when the going gets tough we tend to forget why were are even on this journey in the first place. I have received many emails from woman who have lost their motivation and are looking for ways to reignite that fire in their hearts that they once felt.

Are you struggling to find motivation to continue on in your weight loss journey? If so, I hope and pray that you will be able to find your motivation this week!

Today, I want to share an article with you from the Weight Watchers website that talks about ways to keep you motivation going strong.

Keep Your Motivation Going Strong
Strategies to help you rev up your weight-loss resolve.
Article By: Robin Westen

When starting a new project, most of us vow to attack it full throttle, with the goal of seeing our project through to the end. Indeed, desire and motivation are a dynamite duo. The former gets us going, the latter keeps us on track.

Yet after the initial excitement, motivation can wane. This is especially true when challenging situations throw you off track.

Motivational speaker Jeff Keller agrees that maintaining staying power can be tough. "No matter what the task, there's usually some obstacle or temptation to keep us from our goal," says Keller. "That's why it's so important to stay positive." Here's how to keep your mind focused on your goals.

Celebrate the here and now
As long as you're committed to your plan today, you're succeeding because you're taking charge of your life. Focusing on goals that are far in the future can sap motivation.

Change your language 
Keller suggests scratching negative phrases from your vocabulary. Instead of saying "No," "I can't" or "I'll try," substitute the positive. Say: "Yes," "I can" and "I will" For example, instead of saying "I won't overeat" or "I mustn't have chocolate," say "I will track my food and stay within my budget."

Create visual inspiration
Find a photo of yourself before you started your weight-loss plan. Tack it on the refrigerator, a bedroom or bathroom mirror or inside the food cupboard. As you reach new goals, take new pictures, visually marking your progress.

Weigh in
Although the number on the scale isn't the only way to measure success, weighing in every week at your meeting, will help to keep you accountable. Get different perspectives on how far you've come by reviewing your Progress Reports.

Partner up 
Exercising with friends is always more enjoyable. Schedule days to meet with your workout buddy, and if one of you tries to bow out, act as the other's conscience. Participating in a Community fitness Challenge is another way to stay connected and get inspired.

Steer clear of sabotage 
Avoid food pushers and people who put you down for adopting a healthier lifestyle. Often these folks feel threatened by your weight-loss success.

Set mini goals
Start with aiming to lose 5 percent of your body weight."By setting realistic goals, you're more likely to reach them, feel successful and move on from there," says Keller.

Reward yourself 
When you've reached a goal (and remember to keep them small), treat yourself for your commitment and hard work. You deserve it. Buy new clothes, a book or CD, get a massage —just do something that makes you feel good about you.

1 comment:

Libby said...

Love this! I am doing SO well on WW. Joined in March and I have lost 35lbs! I am feeling SO good! I am running and wearing new clothes, I reward myself every 10 lbs that I lose. BUT, last night, I either sat wrong or pulled something cause my hip and down my leg is hurting me so bad. I am just so so down today. I went from feeling young and healthy to feeling old and achy..in one night. I went ahead and walked today (no running) and I'm on track and eating good but I can feel my motivation slipping..I'm going to fight it and your post helped.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...